I seem to have developed a loathing for drawing, especially when I don't really design that way.  I guess my design process tends to be materials-led.  I look at what I've got and make what it inspires me to try.   This sketch book is going to end up either as a chronicle, or a photo-log, or documentation of how I develop a doll outfit. 

But hey, not to worry, the important thing is that I feel creative, and I've found some gorgeous cheesecloth, which has given me ideas.  We call it cheesecloth here in the UK, it's basically a crinkled muslin.  You can iron out the crinkles, but on dampening the fabric, the crinkles come back.  It's lovely and I decided to play around with its more fragile qualities.

As I'm still BJD-less, Ellowyne has kindly stepped up to the mark. Having an idea in mind from some Japanese Dolly Kei combined with Mori Girl outfits; I sketched it out (for the book, bleh) and couldn't wait to get started. 

There's also another wonderful tutorial by Martha Boers, which shows you how to fray a fairy skirt.  I doubt she ever sees this, but I hope nobody thinks I'm turning into a Martha Boers stalker!  I just feel so inspired by her tutorials that I want to have a go at ALL OFF THEM.  I didn't make my dress in exactly the same way as in the tutorial, but it was really helpful to refer to it.


I started off with a carefully sewn bodice in pink cheesecloth, lined with ivory cotton lawn.  this is the structural part, and I'm delighted with this perfect fit.  I'm constantly surprised that I'm at a stage now where I seem to be able to create my own patterns, even more complicated ones.





Then I sewed the skirt panels  and petticoat panels together; snipped and frayed them.  Cheesecloth frays beautifully.   I did paint the rough edges with a pale wash of silk paints to make it looks stained and aged, but I used to weak a solution and when dry it hardly made a difference.



Undaunted, I decided to make up the petticoat and dress, and paint it on the doll.  I keep old dolls to make clothing with, so it doesn't matter if they get dyed, stained, or scratched with pins.  For BJD's, I won''t be able to do that. At £300+ a pop, they're too expensive to relegate to "clothes horse" status.  It's bad enough using an old Ellowyne, they're hardly cheap!

But I digress,  I mixed thin washes of silk paint, and painted the tattered areas.  that was fun.   It's best to spray the dressed doll with water first, so the silk paint runs nicely.  Here are the soggy results on the doll.

One soggy Petticoat:


And one soggy Dress,  I love the effect already, and had to leave them to dry overnight.  I'll post more pics of the dried articles separately.


Soggy tatters.


____

(( Part 2 ))

.

Profile

raccoons_rags: (Default)
Raccoon's Rags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags