( From part 1 )

Putting on the skirt was the easy part, if a little time consuming, as gathering by hand always is.

Once that was done, I damped down the sleeves and the skirt to shape the puffiness a little better.  I like the way the blomers/shorts peep out from under the skirt.  Next time I'll make them a little more obvious:




These photos came out a bit blurry, but the outfit is looking nice, and once I've decorated it with real cotton lace and a bit of satin robbon, I think I'll put it on sale in my Etsy shop:






_____


( Part 3 )

_____











I've started to use some of the fabrics I dyed back when we had the briefest of summers here in the UK.  I love the nature of hand dying, especially overdying existing prints.  I now have a stash of beautifully shabby unevenly dyed material to play with.

The only problem with hand dyed, is that no matter how much fixative you add to lock the dye into the fabric, or how much you wash and rinse it, it's never quite as fast as commercially dyed fabrics (some of which are just as liable to run or fade)  This presents a risk of staining the dolly who's wearing it. 

To combat this, not only did I use almost twice the amount of dye fix that's recommended, and washed the material several times over,  but I decided the only way to be absolutely safe was to line every garment with lighter coloured commercially dyed fabrics.

So ladies and gents, I bring you the fully lined leotard.

My god it took some doing, but I flipping well did it, and you know what? It looks great :) 

There's nothing quite as luxurious as fully lined garments, and I guess I just like to do it.  With larger dolls like BJD's, it works much better too, because the scale is better for that extra thickness of fabric.

Here's said leotard in an overdyed cotton jersey:


I left the sleeves a little long and slightly loose because I wanted the feel of a sweater, but I wanted it tight to the body, because it's going to have trousers over it, and eventually a frock style waistcoat.  So I wanted the sleeves to look roomy and snuggly, but without any extra bulk in the body.





then I took some fine almost muslin like fabric that had been beige, but I overdyed it to give a nice khaki/olive colour.  I lined the trew as wel, in a light commercial print on some gorgeous cotton lawn.  I know this is nice and colour-fast so makes an excellent lining. Especially as I wanted the turn-ups in a different colour.




These fit so nicely, I want a pair!  Lined garments do look really good on dolls.





I'll make the frock style waistcoat in the same fabric as the trouser lining, then decorate and embellish the outfit. I now have to make the pattern for the waistcoat from scratch. Urgh. 

Wish me luck.


_____


( Part 2 )

_____



.